Pick-up recycling at your sidewalk curb can account for a large amount of materials and more often we are using the blue bins over our regular garbage ‘grey’ bins.
However, you can do even more to re-use and re-cycle. Community Environment Days are organized by the City of Toronto in partnership with Live Green Toronto. They are conveniently organized across the GTA in different communities, usually by your local municipal counselor. The program has been successful in past years and residents of Toronto are more actively involved in recycling, re-using and dispensing of dangerous good.
Some key benefits of participating:
- Extend the life of a product by offering it to someone for reuse.
- Reduce the amount of waste going to landfill and ensure that it is properly recycled.
- Ensure that hazardous waste materials are disposed of safely.
- Convenience! Avoid having to pay and go to a special Drop-off Depot
According to the City of Toronto, there were almost 30,000 particpants last year across the GTA community and together they brought:
- 167,661 kg of electronics
- 310,845 kg of Household Hazardous Waste
- 68,792 kg of reusable household goods
- 7,468 kg of arts & craft supplies
Community Environment Days began this past weekend and will continue throughout the summer.
Find an event near you! To see the 2015 schedule and when it will be visiting your City Ward, follow the link below: