WTSS has two subsidized programs that SUPPORT CAREGIVERS at an affordable fee.
Respite Care offers relief in the home to caregivers who are providing care to frail and/or disabled older adults who cannot be safely left alone.
Home Help provides light housecleaning, including laundry help, meal preparation, grocery shopping, and prescription pick-ups.
WTSS Respite and Home Help Teams provide Caregivers with an option to ensure they are able to attain personal balance by re-energizing, spending time with family, friends, shopping, exercising and interests that bring them pleasure and fulfillment.
The benefits of Respite and Home Help include:
- Renewal and Relaxation – Taking a walk, strolling leisurely through the mall, visiting a museum or doing whatever brings joy can calm you, decrease your heart rate and improve your mood.
- Energy – To be effective in your busy life, you must take time to re-energize. Even an automobile won’t run on empty.
- Space – Getting away from the caregiving situation for even just a few hours can help you relax and bring a renewed sense of purpose.
- Pleasure – As a caregiver, you must remember that you have the right to enjoy life. You have no reason to feel guilty.
- Identity – You must be purposeful in maintaining your sense of self. You are important, too!
- Perspective – Time away from caregiving allows you to see more clearly and keep things in proper perspective. You might even think of better ways of doing things and other resources you can tap into.
- Engagement – Social isolation can be a huge problem for caregivers. It’s important to take time to engage with your friends and family by sharing lunch, taking a shopping trip or doing whatever gives you personal enjoyment.
For more information please call 416-653-3535
A West Toronto Support Services (WTSS) news blog post.
Please be sure to subscribe to get news updates directly to your email inbox.
Read more about WTSS services